Thursday 13 April 2017

Build a Budget PC - #6

Choosing a Case


What is a case?

This one is fairly simple because it is the least technical piece of hardware on the parts list and is also the most easily seen! InCASE you didn't know the case is the external box that all hardware fits into. They usually come with some front panel I/O and a power/reset button.


So does it matter which one I get?

Do not let the simplicity of the case fool you. It is still deadly important that you purchase one that is compatible with your current and future parts. Quite handily the names for a PC case size correspond with motherboard sizings. This is the most important compatibility point you must get right. Cases are either ATX, MicroATX or Mini-ITX. This corresponds with motherboard sizings. It is likely that a larger case will have support for smaller boards as well as the largest size. This can be checked on the Case manufacturers website.

What else matters?

There are many features available on different cases. For example, some come with power supplies, extra fans, dust filters, LED's, glass windows and USB 3.0 front panel support. When buying a PC Case it is a good idea to think about what you want out of the case before even looking on any website for one. I would recommend not getting a case with a built-in PSU because they are not usually up to normal standards. In this day and age, I would recommend front panel USB 3.0 because it has faster data transfer speeds and it also helps to future-proof your case. I would also look for a case with at least two fans because this should ensure an airflow that is fast enough. Furthermore, dust filters are a must need for any case. If a case you are looking at does not have them then look for a different one. The lack of dust filters will mean your PC will become clogged with dust which can lead to overheating and even fires. Both LED's and windows are aesthetic choices and it is up to you.

Which one did I get?

I chose the Phanteks eclipse p400. This is a case that comes with two fans, dust filters all around, front panel USB 3.0, RGB lighting and a side panel window. The case is also an ATX size so I could upgrade in the future. This case looks very nice as well so overall I am extremely happy. I did not pay an extra £15 for the s (silent) version because I do not believe that a small amount of padding will make my system silent... Furthermore, I do not care that much about the noise my computer makes.